I’m working on a social science writing question and need support to help me study.
write in your own words
with academic style.
use 8-10 references that I offered
Portfolio Part 1 (1200 words)
A piece of written work where the student discusses social science research, with a particular reference to their chosen social theme, identifying commonly used research strategies, considering crucial factors relevant to researching the chosen theme and making observations about the most appropriate research strategies.
For this part of the Portfolio, you need to demonstrate your understanding of research process in social science. You must analyse at least two different academic articles that report the results of research on one of the social themes covered in our classes (poverty or crime). The articles must differ on the research strategy (methodology) chosen. Then, you will need to discuss the benefits of the choice of methodology in each of these studies. Your discussion should include answers to the following questions: Manchester College Methodology and Methods in Research Social Science Essays
1. How is poverty/crime defined in social science?
2. What are the three most common strategies (methodologies) used for researching the social theme of poverty/crime? Discuss by illustrating your points with references to two studies (choose from studies covered in weeks 2 and 3).
To guide your analysis, consider the following questions:
a) What is the goal of this research? b) What is the strategy (methodology) followed by the researcher(s): ─ Size and/or scale of the research? ─ Sample size and participant recruitment strategy? ─ How was the information collected (e.g.: use of surveys, interviews, focus groups)? ─ How the information was processed (e.g.: turned into numeric data, text or quotes from interviews? c) What are the results of the research?
3. What are the benefits and limitations of using qualitative/quantitative/mixed methods approach for researching poverty/crime? Discuss with references to the articles analysed before.
Portfolio Part 2 (900 words)
A piece of written work where the student discusses factors determining researcher’s choice of methodology, making references to ontological and epistemological perspectives, methodological approaches and other relevant factors.
For this part of the Portfolio, you need to demonstrate your understanding of relationship between ontology, epistemology and methodology in social science research. Your discussion should include discussion of the following questions:
1. What implications do ontological and epistemological perspectives have for our understanding of the creation of knowledge in social research?
2. How does epistemology link to methodology? a. How would a Positivist (objective) perspective influence a researcher’s choice of methodological approach and research methods? b. How would an Interpretivist (subjective) perspective influence a researcher’s choice of methodological approach and research methods?
3. What other factors impact researcher’s choice of methodology and methods?